"Its name is Hispanic, but other than that how Hispanic is the Sierra Club?" -Mark Steyn
The National Honda Civic Careens Towards the Fiscal Cliff
"There are never going to be enough rich people, even if you raise taxes on all the 1%, to close the deficit. It's the spending. At some point, if you want big government and European-style spending, you're going to have to have European-style taxation. There's no discussion of this anywhere in the fiscal cliff negotiations." -Mark Steyn
- ABC: Obama Speaks on Fiscal Cliff, But No Deal
- Politico: Crunch Time as Senate Lurches Toward Deal
- AP: Fiscal Cliff Deal Emerging
- WT: No Deal Yet as Fiscal Cliff Nears
- USA Today: Kim Kardashian Confirms: "Kanye and I Are Expecting a Baby"
"In a sense, when we talk about the fiscal cliff, it's ridiculous. The fiscal cliff is no more real than the Mayan apocalypse. It's slightly more real in that you guys are gonna be just drowning in new taxes, but it is essentially a contrived date and an artificial drama. It's a piece of theater." -Mark Steyn
Why Couldn't We Save the Benghazi Four?
"This Benghazi report is a fascinating document about the world's most lavishly funded inertia, and it is a perfect microcosm of what is wrong with American money-is-no-object government. The so-called FAST guys got there 27 hours after everything had happened. That's how 'fast' they are. But they got the cool acronym! I'll bet the badges look good, too." –Mark Steyn
- Reuters: Senate Report Faults State Department, Intelligence on Benghazi
- Reuters: Pentagon Releases Benghazi Timeline, Defends Response and FAST Team
"We toppled that ridiculous pockmarked transvestite, Khadafy, in order to put this new Libyan regime in office. And they wouldn't give visas for security personnel to aid an American diplomatic facility? What is the point of this level of spending for the world's biggest government if we can't make that happen?" –Mark Steyn
"The Americans from Tripoli who landed at Benghazi airport to go and rescue their compatriots were held at the airport by Libyan forces -- mysteriously -- for something like three-and-a-half hours. Why was no one in Washington on that? Why didn't the president or secretary of state pick up the phone and get the Libyan president, the guy who we supposedly installed, to make things move along?" –Mark Steyn
Laughing At Obama's "Investment" in Education
"People should laugh at the president when he talks about 'investing' in education. By any reasonable measure -- compared to historic norms or global norms -- there are far more teachers and far bigger administrative staffs than there's a rational need for. And they're all lavishly remunerated." –Mark Steyn
- NCPA: America Spends More on Education, Gets Worse Outcomes
- BI: If America Spends More Than Most Countries Per Student, Then Why Are Its Schools So Bad?
"I have neighbors who are old enough to remember small, one-room schoolhouses and local school boards hiring teachers. The teacher would come from a couple of towns away and would board within the community. That was the way they wanted to teach, and that's what they did. And that's better than having a big, unionized bureaucracy increasingly at odds with the community it purports to be a part of." –Mark Steyn
More Stories Discussed on The Last Program of 2012...
"Out there on the sharp end, there's no end to the number of brave guys ready to do what's necessary to defend America." –Mark Steyn
- Politico: Greens Confront Own Need for Diversity
- WP: Biden, McConnell Close to a Deal on Tax Hikes But Hung Up On Spending Cuts
- NB: Petition to Arrest David Gregory Passes Halfway Mark
- UKDM: Craigslist Sperm Donor Forced to Pay Child Support to Lesbian Couple Despite Giving Up Parental Rights to Daughter Before Birth
- NYT: Let's Give Up on the Constitution -Louis Michael Seidman
"I never liked the term 'fiscal cliff.' It sounds like it's the name of a male stripper." -Mark Steyn